Day One of NaBloPoMo
Miles's kindergarten class went on a field trip to the Mount Baker Theatre in town this week. Several of the primary grades watched the "Imperial Acrobats Chi of Shaolin - Tale of the Dragon" which apparently is a story about an injured thief who is found by a monk and eventually healed and redeemed. The story is told with dance, martial arts, and acrobatics. When I went to pick him up after school, he was SO excited and said the show was "great!"
In the car, I asked him about the Chinese acrobats:
Grace: "Were the acrobats Chinese?"
Miles: "What's Chinese?"
Grace (perplexed): "Um, did they look like me?"
Miles (in a "duh" tone): "No Mama they didn't look like you at all! They looked like me and Daddy!"
Hm. One possible explanation is that I mostly describe myself (and my family) as Taiwanese, rather than Chinese. And I didn't want to push the issue too much. Another possibility is that he may not think about race in the way adults do. But our mini-conversation led me re-read the work of Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman, authors of Nurtureshock.
Here's a link of an excellent discussion of race: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/blogs/nurture-shock/2009/09/11/is-discussing-race-with-a-3-year-old-too-young.html
This quote resonates with me: "According to Harris-Britt (a clinical psychologist who studies race), teaching a child about race shouldn't consist of acute exposure to race; comfort in racial differences comes through a calm, continuous process of exposure. And that should begin at the very beginning."
With that said, Bellingham is not a particularly diverse community.

1 comment:
That is a fascinating article. I'm totally surprised, as I have always avoided race for the same reasons as the author. Even with a black boyfriend (and soon-to-arrive mixed kid) I hadn't even considered bringing it up. Now I definitely will. Thank you for posting this!
Post a Comment