Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The theme of loss

Miles & I watched most of "The Wizard of Oz" on TV before dinner on Sunday evening.  He has seen parts of it before, but we watched 'til the end this time.  I was with him for most of it, including the scary parts (flying monkeys) and he seemed fine.  We talked about how it's "not real" and that I assured him that there would be a happy ending.  (Side note: "The Wizard of Oz" along with "The Sound of Music" have always been my favorite movies from childhood, which I usually watch once a year.)  The movie ended at 6:00 and I got up from the couch at about 5:45 to prepare dinner, and I think the ending is "happy" with Dorothy reunited with her family in Kansas.  When I went back to the living room, Miles was crying, seriously crying with tears streaming down his little face.  He said, "Mama...I'm so sad!!!!!  She left her friends!!!!  She won't ever see her friends again!"  I tried to reassure him that Dorothy was with her family, and that didn't mollify him; in fact, he got more upset that she wouldn't ever see the Lion, Tin Man, and Scarecrow again.  I have to say that his reaction surprised me.  But that I shouldn't underestimate the theme of loss in Miles's life. 

1 comment:

mel said...

What a sweet spirit he has, to be so aware of the connections between people. I love it.