Miles was a pretty "terrific two" but he's a "terrible three." This morning, we went to the local Children's Museum, and Miles deliberately pushed a little girl (I would guess her age to be about 14 months, toddling). I watched him sidle up to her and give her a hip-check, and she lost her balance. It wasn't hard, but it was very intentional. I gave him a time-out on the spot, and he only said to me "ribbit ribbit ribbit, I'm a frog." He did finally reluctantly apologize. Today, he was one of those kids. I apologized profusely to the girl's mom, but I felt awful. I was only slightly embarrassed because I know these things happen, but the behavior is so atypical of Miles! Even hours later, when I asked him why he did it, he would only say "ribbit ribbit ribbit." Sigh...
And tonight, well after bedtime, I could hear Miles crying and saying "I want my Mama! I want my Mama!" So I went upstairs and all he could say was "I'm scared. I'm scared." (Why?) "I just am." So we snuggled for awhile, and right before I left him again, I asked him what he was thinking: "Mama, I'm feenking about you buh-cuz I like to snuggle..." Awwww.
It has been a rough week...crazy busy at work (academics spend at least 40% of non-classroom time in various meetings!) with grading, prepping, actually teaching, etc. So it's the perfect storm of work stress, Miles being three and challenging, and Ethan's illness, etc. I need a spa vacation, big time!!!! (Actually, we -- Ethan, Kathy, Miles, and I -- are headed for Harrison Hot Springs for the weekend after Thanksgiving.)
I hope everyone out there is having a great weekend...send me some tips on managing preschoolers!

No comments:
Post a Comment